Friday, November 26, 2010

Children's Book Review: The Gruffalo



Name of book: The Gruffalo
Author / Illustrator: Written by Julia Donaldson and illustrated by Axel Scheffler
What's It All About: A little mouse goes walking through the woods and tells a frightening story about a Gruffalo to all the predators he meets.  But, will he meet the Gruffalo after all?

Excerpt:

"Where are you going to, little brown mouse? 
 Come and have lunch in my underground house."
"It's terriby kind of you, Fox, but no--
I'm going to have lunch with a gruffalo."

My Favorite Bit: I really like the sing song poetry of this story.  Every page rhymes and you know it's done well because you start to say the lines with the lilt they were intended to have.  This book was recommended to me by my friend Christy, and we are enjoying more Julia Donaldson.
Suitable Age For Reading It To: From small to big, everyone can love the Gruffalo.  My three year old likes it the best but my eight year old will sit to hear and laugh, too.
Go Get It: The Gruffalo (this is the link for the paperback but it comes as a hardback or a board book, too.)
 A little about the author and/or illustrator: Julia Donaldson is a writer, playwright, singer, and song writer who has championed over a hundred and fifty books, many of them for schools.  You can check out more about her here.  Axel Scheffler was born in Germany and moved to England to study art.  You can learn more about him here.

1 comment:

  1. We love Julia Donaldson too! I think Tiddler is Lily's favorite with Stick Man being a very close second.

    ReplyDelete