Saturday, November 13, 2010

Children's Book Review: Saint George And The Dragon



Name of Book: Saint George And The Dragon
Author/Illustrator: Retold by Margaret Hodges and Illustrated by (my favorite) Trina Schart Hyman
What's It All About:
A Knight is sent by the Queen of the Fairies to fight a terrible dragon that is terrorizing the land.  Una, the Princess of the land in danger, rides with him.  The Knight fights the dragon and, though he is beaten back, he wins in the end with Una's help.  The King of the land offers his daughter, Princess Una, in marriage to the Knight and he accepts.  Though the dragon has been killed and the Knight marries Princess Una, he must still go and fight other battles for the Queen of the Fairies.  In time he earns his name and becomes known as Saint George.
My Favorite Bit:
Though the story itself is written well I have to say that my favorite bit are the illustrations.  The page with Princess Una pointing away to her father's castle as they ride through the countryside is one of my favorites.  I like the rolling hills and the children and farmers that come to great the travelers. 
Suitable Age For Reading To:
I can read this to my daughter who is currently three, but it is generally suited for a child that is a little older.  My eight year old enjoys it more as the words are a little more complex and the pages have at least a paragraph apiece, which anyone who has young children know it's hard to get them to sit still for that long of a page.  But, the illustrations are so lovely that I (don't tell my daughter) paraphrase the words so we can look at each page.
Go Get It: Saint George And The Dragon (I always recommend the hardback form but this paperback is worthwhile for a starter if you can't spend as much.)

2 comments:

  1. We just read this! I love it!!
    It looked daunting, so I told Elisha I might not read it all in one night, but the illustrations and story were so great, we didn't want to put it down :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yes, isn't she a lovely illustrator? She's my favorite and she does many other fairytales! I will review them as I go, but illustration-wise Trina Schart Hyman's Sleeping Beauty is my personal favorite. It is glorious.

    ReplyDelete