Friday, December 3, 2010

Children's Book Review: Bears In The Night



Name of book: Bears In The Night
Author  / Illustrator: Stan and Jan Berenstain
What's It All About: Little bears get up after bed to find out what's making a spooky sound through the woods. 
My Favorite Bit: I love the page where they've gone through the woods and are now heading: Up Spook Hill.  The reason I love it is my three year old daughter has memorized this book and pauses after each word for this page.  It tickles me pink.  Also I think I love it because she could memorize it and "read" it to me.  Each page has the repetition from the last of where the bears have been, reinforced by the drawing on each page.  That way kids can see what's new and where the bears have been and where they are going.  Brilliant!
Suitable Age For Reading It To: This is an easy read and better suited to small ones but if your kids have grown up with Berenstain Bears than they won't mind hearing this one again.  And, since the Berenstain Bears have lots of great books for older readers, you can simply point them on.
Go Get It: Bears In The Night (Paperback early reader)
A little about the Author and/or Illustrator: Stan and Jan Berenstain met in art school in Philadelphia and were married shortly before Stan returned from serving in WWII.  They loved to draw together and were a regular corner of the Saturday Evening Post and Collier's before beginning their own stories together.  Mike Berenstain, their son, also has become an illustrator and works with Jan Berenstain (Stan Berenstain passed away in 2005).

1 comment:

  1. I always liked them jumping through the window in a line back into bed.

    ReplyDelete