Sunday, February 27, 2011

Beatrix Potter Review of Book One: The Tale Of Peter Rabbit


Name of book: The Tale Of Peter Rabbit
Author  / Illustrator: By Beatrix Potter
What's It All About: Peter is a curious bunny who can't resist going into Mr. McGregor's vegetable garden, though his mother has told him not to.  Peter eats until he is discovered by Mr. McGregor and has to hide in a watering can half full of water.  There is a feverish feel to this story as Peter tries to get out of the garden, becoming ensnared in a net, cornered by Mr. McGregor's cat, and finally escapes under the gate without his shoes or coat, which he has to leave behind.  His mother puts him to bed as he has caught a cold from being in the watering can, and he must drink camomile tea. 
My Favorite Bit: The illustrations are lovely but I think I like the page the most where Peter cannot get out the back gate and sheds a few tears to a mouse who cannot help him because she has a large pea in her mouth.  Peter looks so sad with his ears pushed back and his little hand on the door. 



Suitable Age For Reading It To: This is just right for small children and up.  It's a good length to hold attentions and the pictures are captivating for kids. 
Go Get It: I'm not doing a go get it section for these books as on the first post I put where you could get the whole set.  You can refer to that page if you're feeling shoppy.


2 comments:

  1. Thanks! Pardon my tweeting ineptitude, but what am I supposed to do with that? I'm seriously behind the tweeting times. Thanks, dear friend.

    ReplyDelete