Thursday, April 7, 2011

Beatrix Potter Book Review of Book Seven: The Tale Of Mr. Jeremy Fisher


Name of Book: The Tale Of Mr. Jeremy Fisher
Author/Illustrator: By Beatrix Potter
What It's All About: Mr. Jeremy Fisher, a frog of dapper clothing, goes fishing in the pond for minnows with which to feed his friends Sir Isaac Newton and Mr. Alderman Ptolemy Tortoise.  He has a bad day fishing and is almost swallowed by a trout, saved only by the fact that the trout disliked the taste of Jeremy's galoshes. 
My Favorite Bit: There is much to this story that I love.  First of all, all the animals names in this are simply perfect.  If I ever own a newt I will certainly name it Sir Isaac Newton.  Second of all, I love almost every painting on every page.  I love the little minnows who laugh at Jeremy, I love the different poses Jeremy is in, especially when he climbs out of the pond onto the bank like a proper frog, but I think my favorite illustration has to be the page at the end where Mr. Jeremy meets up with Sir Isaac Newton who is wearing his 'black and gold waistcoat' and has his hands behind his back like my nephew Layne is wont to do. 
Suitable Age For Reading To: This is a story for a little older child such as five-ish, though smaller children will love the illustrations.  The story seems a bit posh with the animals' titles and the language and so I must say that though all will love it, older children will understand it a little better.  Go and settle down with Mr. Jeremy Fisher, he is waiting in the rain on a lily pad somewhere.

No comments:

Post a Comment