Saturday, April 23, 2011

Beatrix Potter Review of Book Twelve: The Tale of Timmy Tiptoes


Name of Book: The Tale of Timmy Tiptoes
Author/Illustrator: By Beatrix Potter
What It's All About: I must say that Timmy Tiptoes is a very unlucky grey squirrel.  I believe we sometimes must confuse him with Squirrel Nutkin (who did deserve to lose his tail, but that is another story).  Poor Timmy Tiptoes is wrongfully accused of stealing nuts by a little bird who sings, "who's been digging up my nuts?" The other squirrels hurt Timmy and push him through a hole in a tree.  He lands on a pile of his own nuts and cannot move.  His wife Goody cannot find him.  Timmy is taken care of by a little chipmunk by the name of Chippy Hackee, who feeds him nuts until he is so fat he cannot get out of the tree.  A great storm comes along and breaks the tree in half and Timmy Tiptoes can go home to his wife.  Ever after they shoo away any little birds who come into their forest singing, "who's been digging up my nuts?"
My Favorite Bit: I very much enjoy the little songs the birds sing because my mother sang them herself as we now do with our children and the stories continue.  I also love the page where Chippy Hackee tucks Timmy Tiptoes into a bed of moss to care for him until he is well.

Suitable Age For Reading It To: I would wait to read this to a very small child as it is quite traumatic for poor Timmy to be so handled by the other squirrels.  It is also a bit longer than the other stories, with at least a paragraph on each page to which a smaller child may grow restless.  Save this one for older than five-ers. 

No comments:

Post a Comment