Sunday, May 8, 2011

Beatrix Potter Review of Book Sixteen: The Tale of Samuel Whiskers or The Roly-Poly Pudding


Name of Book: The Tale of Samuel Whiskers or The Roly Poly Pudding
Author/Illustrator: By Beatrix Potter
What It's All About: Tom Kitten has explored up the chimney and found rats! Mr. Samuel Whiskers and his wife Anna-Maria decide to make a roly poly pudding of him.  They steal some dough, a rolling pin, and a pat of butter.  Will Tom be saved by his distraught mother and her friend or will the rats be having a fine supper?
My Favorite Bit: Cats in a house that have rats is a little spooky because the cats are afraid of the large rats.  I do like the picture of Tom falling in through a hole and landing in Samuel Whisker's home but I cannot say I enjoy this story greatly as it is quite worrying both to Mrs. Tabitha Twitchit and to us as readers when her kitten goes missing. 
Suitable Age For Reading It To: I would say that this one you may skip for the very young and wait until they are at least five before revealing that rats can be quite large and very dangerous, even to animals that should be able to face them.  I suppose this book just feels too real and therefore, in the traditional fairytale sense, feels dark and dangerous for most of it's pages.  The rats, however, are quite cleverly painted and I do enjoy seeing them scurrying around (when it isn't my kitten they're thinking of eating). 

No comments:

Post a Comment