Sunday, May 22, 2011

Children's Book Review: Llama Llama Red Pajama

Name of Book: Llama Llama Red Pajama
Author / Illustrator: Anna Dewdney
What's It All About: A charming rhyming story about little Llama who goes to bed and Mama gives Llama kisses and hugs and then leaves.  Llama misses Mama and fusses until Mama thinks something is really wrong and runs upstairs only to find that Llama just wanted Mama.  This is so 'Every Mom' that it's almost hard to read without feeling that dragging sensation that a little voice from a bedroom creates even after your child is supposed to be asleep.  We've kissed you, we've hugged you, we've read stories, we've kissed stuffed toys, we've gotten you a drink, and still you call for something else.  Sigh.
My Favorite Bit: I love the facial expressions of Llama.  I didn't know llamas could be so expressive (well, maybe I did because I've seen Emperor's New Groove) but these are still hilarious.
Go Get It: Llama Llama Red Pajama from Amazon.co.uk in hardback format
Suggested Age For Reading It To: This is a great story for little 'uns who love the rhyming tongue-twisteryness of it all.
A Little About The Author/Illustrator: Anna Dewdney quote:
"I am one of those weird, annoying people who, when they pass cows in a field, go, “MOO!”  And as I had two little kids, and I live in a state with lots of cows and sheep, I often said, “MOO” and “BAAAAH!” But whenever we passed a field that had llamas, I didn’t know what llamas “said”, so I said, “Llama llama!”, and that’s how it started.  Now I know that llamas don’t “say” anything, actually.  Unless they are in my books!"
For a little bio on Ms. Dewdney, please consider visiting her website at: Anna Dewdney.com or her sister's cute shop: Dragonfly Dry Goods
Other Llama Llama Books:




No comments:

Post a Comment