Wednesday, June 1, 2011

Children's Book Review: Each Peach Pear Plum


Name of Book: Each Peach Pear Plum
Author/Illustrator: By Janet and Allan Ahlberg
What's It All About: A rhyming I Spy book full of famous storybook characters to find.

Excerpt:
Jack and Jill in a ditch
I spy the Wicked Witch
Wicked Witch over the wood
I spy Robin Hood
Robin Hood in his den
I spy the Bears again


My Favorite Bit: I love the feel of this whole world.  I can't say I have a favorite page or anything as they're all perfect.  I do, however, love Robin Hood holding Baby Bunting at the end and clearly happy to be doing so.


Go Get It: Each Peach Pear Plum board book from Amazon UK
Suitable Age For Reading It To: This seems to be simpler for smaller children but as I still love it and I am almost certain I'm an adult I'd say it's still for everyone.
A Little About The Author/Illustrator:
"I like the word flabbergasted, I like the name Horace and I seem to write quite a lot about sausages."
For 20 years Allan worked with his wife, Janet who passed away in 1994.  Allan has since teamed up with their daughter Jessica.   He has written over 140 books.  His wife began illustrating and asked Allan who was working as a primary school teacher to write her a story. 
"It turned out that this was the sort of writing I could do," he says. "Instinctively, I write like this" (he holds up his hand with fingers splayed) "and the pictures come in and do this" (he interlocks his other hand). There was no rivalry between them. "It was just like having a baby really. You fuss over the book and are very protective. Criticism - 'your baby has a big nose' - hurts ... and you don't begrudge the other parent their genetic input."
Allan and Janet together parented 37 books and one real baby. Jessica (born in 1980) was immediately coopted into the family business. "We were dismayed," says Allan, "when Jessica's favourite book was the Mothercare catalogue. So we made a catalogue of our own." The Baby's Catalogue (1982), is dedicated to Jessica.

Full interview, from which these excerpts have been taken can be found here:
http://www.guardian.co.uk/lifeandstyle/2006/jun/24/familyandrelationships.family7

I would write more about this couple but as they have many more books that I will review, I'll leave it there for now.

Allan Ahlberg


Check out more books at Feed Me Books Friday

2 comments:

  1. We have this from you!! I also have Jolly Postman and just got the Christmas one to save for the holidays...genius authors.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Catching up on some neglected links. Thanks for linking up at Feed Me Books Friday! We love the Alhbergs' work! So creative!

    ReplyDelete