Saturday, July 23, 2011

Vignette: Lynn Lupetti

Vignette: Lynn Lupetti paintings

     Half an hour away from where I live is a place called Carmel.  Carmel is not only a beautiful and affluent town, it boasts a famous (now retired) mayor, Clint Eastwood.  Down near the sea with the white sandy beaches that scrunch under your feet with an unnatural squeak, amid the million dollar homes that are nothing more than ranch houses who have suddenly found themselves in a happening part of the world, there are little expensive boutiques. Here you can buy a necklace for the cost of a car or baby clothes I'd be terrified to put anything but a doll in for fear they'd be destroyed along with the college fund it took to buy them, a vintage suitcase that cost more than my wedding dress, or a pair of heels that would make me begrudge the pavement its dirty surface.  But something else used to be in that town that I always enjoyed wandering through.  Carmel is full of quaint art galleries.  You can spend a day wandering in and out of them, looking with quiet awe or civil distaste at the various pieces and styles on display: a sculptor gone mad twisting the human form into something unrecognizable, a gaudy garish canvas filled with layers of gouache where the artist had no knowledge of how to use the material, a crude picture of a nude model supposedly art because the artist has drawn all the imperfections in the person he can think of, a set of pots clevery welded together to allow water to dribble through in a pleasing way that urges you towards a bathroom at your earliest convenience.  But then there are the quiet galleries filled with real gems: portraits of people you wish were right there because the paint seems to leap off the canvas and tell you a story, delicate landscapes with whispy clouds and sparkling water, beautiful still life pictures where the silver gleams as if its real and the fruit and flowers look like gems.  
 
     And lastly, and probably most unadmired by the more strident art community, are the fantasy pieces.  Here is where you wander through looking at pictures of wild colors, mythical creatures, and fantasy-scapes so surreal I resist the urge to look at them upside down to see if they were hung up correctly.  And off one street of the main Carmel thoroughfare I wandered into a gallery and was pleased to find subject matter that I could relate to.  Lining the walls were the picture you see below, pictures of fantasy and make-believe and children.  Not all of Lupetti's work I love, but I love that there is a place in the world for such art, that people can be happy or inspired by these little stories told with paint on a canvas.  I've been back to that gallery several times and for a little while my sister and I collected puzzles of the paintings so that we could enjoy them at home.  Lupetti's Carmel webpage is down and I can find no information about this artist and why she paints what she does, but I have a sneaking suspicion she was/is a portrait artist who grew tired of the background of people's houses for portraits and began creating what children wished were around them.  I hope you enjoy these as I have.  Feel free to comment about which is your favorite.

 
Lionhearted


Song of the Sea


Mirror of Dreams



A Higher Purpose

Innocent Architect



Voyage of light



The Dragon Tamer



Enchanted Knight



My Tea Bear

 Breath of Life



Bedtime Story



Kiss of the Faerie

Toymaker's Son



Wonder


The Blessing



The Secret Rendezvous



The Wish


Lords Of The Moon



The Source

No comments:

Post a Comment