Wednesday, August 17, 2011

Children's Book Review: Mouse Tales

Name of Book: Mouse Tales
Author / Illustrator: Written and illustrated by Arnold Lobel
What It's All About: Seven mice snuggle in bed and their father tells them seven tales, one for each of them, for bedtime.  The stories are: The Wishing Well, Clouds, Very Tall Mouse And Very Short Mouse, The Mouse And The Winds, The Journey, The Old Mouse, and The Bath.  Each story is short, hilarious, and drawn beautifully.  Kids love the way these are written and so do I.  I don't want to do a synopsis of each as they are short and I'd basically be telling the whole book but trust me on this one--Mr. Lobel doesn't disappoint.  This book also has large print and simple words so it's a good one for beginning readers.  I also have to mention that the inscription in our family's copy is from my parents on the occasion of my fourth birthday (in 1983).  Thanks Mom and Dad for such a lovely gift that I can pass on to my kids.
Here's a scene from another good story in this book called appropriately, 'The Bath'.

My Favorite Bit: If I had to choose a favorite tale it would be The Mouse And The Winds.  Excerpt: 

'"Wind!" shouted the mouse.  "Come down and blow my boat 
off this house and off this tree!"  "Here I am," said the south 
wind.  The south wind blew and blew.  The mouse and the boat 
and the house and the tree went up in the air...and landed
on top of a mountain.'

Suitable Age For Reading It To: This is perfect for reading to little ones under five, perfect for ones above five reading their first chapter books, and kids older than that just to enjoy whether they're reading it or you (and you can laugh along as you read too :)
Go Get It: Mouse Tales paperback at Amazon US. 
A Little About The Author / Illustrator: See my earlier post about Mr. Lobel HERE.

No comments:

Post a Comment