Sunday, December 18, 2011

Children's Book Review: Angelina's Christmas

Name of Book: Angelina's Christmas
Author / Illustrator: Written by Katharine Hollabird and Illustrated by Helen Craig
What It's All About: At Christmas time Angelina discovers an old lonely mouse in town and enlists him to dress as Santa as he used to do when he was the village postman.
My Favorite Bit:  As with all the Angelina stories, my favorite bits are the illustrations.  Craig is a wonderfully detailed artist who takes pride in the little touches in each picture and if you're like me, you love just looking at the pages to see everything she's stuck in.  This talent is at the top of the list for me when I buy books as well as anything I illustrate myself.  Adults and children alike love to hunt for things and notice details in pictures.  It says something about the artist.  They haven't thrown away a page.  They implore you to stay awhile and look a little longer. Craig lands in good company here with artists like Mercer Mayer and Richard Scarry. In this particular Angelina book, my favorite page is when Angelina, Henry, and Mr. Mouseling take presents and a tree to Mr. Bell as a Christmas surprise.

Suitable Age For Reading It To: The Angelina books are perfect for around age 4-6.  They can be read to younger/older children but I think they are perfect for 4-6 year olds.  The writing is such that younger children may perhaps get tired of the length and older children may wish to move on to a quicker paced story.  The writing is average, not fantastic (my opinion) but coupled with the simply lovely illustrations, these books  have become my daughter's favorites and can become yours too.
Go Get It: Angelina's Christmas in paperback at Amazon US
A Little About the Author / Illustrator: Check out my little blurb about the author and illustrator in an earlier book review HERE.

No comments:

Post a Comment